Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Woodbine Jockey Landry Retires

Woodbine jockey Robert Landry announced his retirement today after a 29-year career that saw him win 2,045 races and the 2004 Queen's Plate aboard Niigon. Landry will retire from riding horses on the racetrack but will still be involved in Thoroughbred Racing in Ontario as he takes over as the Racing Manager for Chiefswood Stable, who he rode for while winning the only Queen's Plate of his career.

"The time is right for me to embark on this new association with horse racing," said Landry. "I have to admit it was a hard decision because I love the sport and I love riding. But to have this opportunity to work for the people I won a Queen's Plate with is truly special."

Landry, 48, recorded his first ever riding victory aboard a horse named Hammy Hubert on June 21st, 1981, at Fort Erie. 28 years later, Landry recorded his 2,000th victory while riding Firetheexecutive on July 1st, 2009, in a race at Woodbine.

Landry was a dominant rider on the Woodbine circuit during the nineties, becoming Canada's outstanding jockey in 1993 and 1994 and leading Woodbine jockeys in stakes wins in 1993 (13), 1994 (18) and 1996 (18). He also rode five consecutive champion two-year-old fillies from 1996 to 2000 and won the Woodbine Mile in 1999 aboard Quiet Resolve, who went to post as a 45-1 longshot.

Landry retries after 17,656 career mounts and purse earnings of $69,786,382. Landry recorded 167 lifetime stakes wins, including 29 graded stakes victories.


"Obviously, there are so many great memories that I have," said Landry. "I owe a lot to Woodbine for how they treated me and I owe a lot to the many people, including the fans, who supported me throughout my career."

Landry will no doubt be missed on the track by the many trainers who entrusted him with their horses and the fans who loved to cheer Landry on day after day at Woodbine. Landry will not be out of the game completely, however, and he will still be able to work with the horses he loves on a day-to-day basis for Chiefswood Stable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | Free Samples